To talk about Thai traditional cuisines, it is sure that many people enjoy and love them because Thai cuisines whichever one is so delectable. And not only Thais but also foreigners that love and enjoy Thai food. And of course, one of the very first famous Thai dish for the world is Tom Yum Goong or Prawn Spicy Soup.
About Tom Yum Goong
“Tom Yum Goong” is a traditional menu in Thailand with a fabulous taste that is spicy and sour mixed harmoniously. Furthermore, Tom Yum Goong is also a Thai dish which makes a reputation and attracts a lot of foreigners to try and fall for Thai food until this menu have been voted as Top ranking of the most delicious dish of the world.
For another thing, there are 2 types of Tom Yum Goong, condensed soup and clear soup style. Today, we suggest you a recipe in condensed soup by add condensed milk in the soup. And to cook this menu is simple and no need to prepare too many ingredients. So, let have a look how to cook it.
Tom Yum Goong in Condensed Soup
- Water ½ cup
- River prawn or tiger prawn 3-4 prawns
- Straw mushroom or Phoenix mushroom (as prefer), cut to piece ½ cup
- Unsweetened condensed milk ½ cup
- Lemongrass 2-3 sticks
- Sliced galangal 3 tablespoons
- Kaffir lime leaf 4-5 leaves
- Smashed red chili 4-5 seeds
- Chili paste 1-2 tablespoons
- Fish sauce 4 tablespoons
- Lime juice 2 tablespoons
- Chopped coriander 2 tablespoons
- Heat the water in pot over medium heat until boiling, pound galangal and lemongrass a little before adding to the boiling water, leave for a few minutes and then add mushrooms, then lower the heat to medium and wait until the soup is reboiled and fragrance comes out, about 4 minutes.
- Then add chili, chili paste and fish sauce, stir well and let it boil again and add prawns. Let the prawns to light cook (start to turn the color) and add unsweetened condensed milk and let it boils. Then rip kaffir lime leaves before add in the soup and turn off the heat.
- Add lime juice and coriander.
- Serve hot in a bowl with steamed jasmine rice.
Note: some recipes may add hot basil, parsley, sweet basil or shallot.
Tips for Delicious Tom Yum Goong:
Tom Yum is how to cook soup with various herbs i.e. shallot, lemongrass. galangal, kaffir lime leaves etc. and these herbs can give their aroma oil by the heat from boiled water. However, to let them boil too long will wipe out all of the aroma oil from the herbs as a result the fragrance of Tom Yum will be reduced. Therefore, do add the herbs when the soup is boiled properly and do not cook too long, just add in boiled soup, then quickly add prawn and when it boils again add flavor with fish sauce and turn off the heat suddenly.
Lime juice, fresh chili and chili paste can add in the bottom of serving bowl and add fresh cooked Tom Yum into the bowl. This is something you should keep in mind that to boil lime juice will change its taste same as chili which will cause its aroma to be vanished and leave its hot taste only. And the coriander has it significant fragrance so use as topping so the taste and fragrance will be the best of it.
Tom Yum Goong in condensed soup is a menu with plenty of healthy ingredients especially a lot of herbs in it so this is another healthy menu to try. And the recipe we brought to you today is not too hard to cook at home as well. We hope you will enjoy this cooking. ^^