Thai Green Chicken Curry is a unique Thai dish with the light green color of its soup which is made from fresh green chili, providing flavorful taste that starts with hot and spicy, turning salty and creamy gradually. The direction to cook green curry paste is similar to the red curry but green curry is more flavorful. Green Curry can be cooked with a selection of meats i.e. beef, chicken, pork, fish, fish ball etc.
Besides its luscious taste, green curry also has a plenty of dietary benefits such as to reduce inflammation that occurs in diseases such as diabetes, cancer and coronary artery disease. Moreover, other ingredients to add in this curry like eggplant and the herb basil leaves also have a lot of benefits for health. Therefore, the green curry, whether cooked with any meat or vegetables will for sure provide you some dietary benefits. Anyhow, there are some people who might worry about the coconut milk in the curry, there are eggplants both pea eggplant and small eggplant which are high in fiber so that when we have green curry with eggplants, they are less worry to consume too much coconut milk.
And hereinafter, we will suggest to you a mouthwatering recipe of one for the most favorite green curry dishes called “Chicken Green Curry” which is not only attractive among the foreigners but also Thais. And this recipe is easy to cook and tastes good too. So, let start!
Green Curry Chili Paste Recipe
Ingredients: (for chili paste 154 grams)
- Shallots (peeled) 44 grams
- Thai garlic (peeled) 18 grams
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Shrimp paste 1 teaspoon
- Coriander root 2 grams
- White pepper 10 seeds
- Fresh green chili 10
- Fresh green bird’s chili 15
- Lemongrass 6 grams
- Galangal 6 grams
- Kaffir lime peel ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander seeds 2 grams
- Cumin 1 grams
- Nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon
Direction to make chili paste
1. Roast coriander seeds and cumin until it is fragrant and grind and set aside.
2. Pound pepper to powder and add coriander root, galangal, kaffir lime peel and lemongrass and pound them all together into pieces. Add green chili, green bird’s chili, salt and pound to pieces then add shallots, garlic and shrimp paste and pound together and add the roasted coriander seeds and cumin power to the mixture and pound them all together until mixed well.
How to cook Green Chicken Curry
Ingredients: (for 3 servings)
- Green curry paste 70 grams
- Chicken thigh or breast (cut to chunk) 300 grams
- Undiluted coconut milk 250 milliliter
- Thin coconut milk 400 milliliter
- Small eggplant (cut to 4) 100 grams
- Pea eggplant (remove stalk) 50 grams
- Kaffir lime leaf 3 leaves
- Shredded fresh red chili 2
- Basil leave 15 grams 15 กรัม
- fish sauce 1 tablespoon
- Palm sugar 1 tablespoon
Add undiluted coconut milk into a wok and cook over low heat until bubbling and then add green curry paste and stir well until its fragrance comes out. Then turn the heat to medium and add chicken, stir well until the chicken turns to its color or light cook.
Add thin coconut milk in the wok and heat until the curry is sizzling then flavor with fish sauce and palm sugar, stir well until the palm sugar melts well. Then add kaffir lime leaves, eggplant and pea eggplant, cook well until the curry is boiled. Then add fresh red chili and basil, stir well.
Serve hot in a bowl and garnish with basil, serve with steamed Thai jasmine rice or Fermented Thai rice flour noodle (Ka nom Jeen).